Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Kayaking round Picton

Last post 02-04-2007, 7:32 PM by Annabel. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  25-03-2007, 2:28 PM 412

Kayaking round Picton

Kia ora!

I've also had people wondering what the story is with kayaking round Picton. Doing this trip hinges on having people with some kayaking experience coming along or else we'd have to go for a guided option (which is really expensive and touristy). The trip would take place on the second week of the holidays (exact days are flexible on who wants to actually go along of course) and should be pretty awesome, but yeah is pretty dependent on getting some experienced people.

If you're keen drop me an email (beattianna@student.vuw.ac.nz) and I'll keep you posted on further developments

Filed under: , ,
  •  26-03-2007, 12:05 PM 422 in reply to 412

Re: Kayaking round Picton

If you go with the Marlborough Sounds Adventure company (I think that's their name) you can go without a guide or experience we did a couple of years ago (see Heels 2005, whoops it hasn't been published yet...), and I'd recommend it.

In seriousness, you hire boat, paddle, life jacket, they tell you how to tip it up the right way if you capsize and off you go straight in to the ferry lane.  After some fast paddling to cross the ferry lane you are in Queen Charlotte sound proper.  It took us two easy days paddling to get up to Blumine Island and camp (we also camped in another bay whose name eludes me) .  It must have been very easy days because on the last day we split up, some got the water taxi back but me, Hannah and Ben Clendon paddled back and it only took us 4hrs (admittedly via a much more direct route).

So I'd say experienced people might help but don't let it stop you, it didn't stop us and only one person fell out ... twice.

Richie
  •  26-03-2007, 1:06 PM 427 in reply to 412

Hey Annabel,

I'd endorse Ritchie's comments. The only thing I'd add is that double kayaks are ten times better for beginners than singles. The guy who tipped on our trip was in a single - the doubles were very stable and easy to handle and even Ritchie (who makes scientists wonder whether humans actually did originate from sea creatures) was happy in them.  Unless there's a bit of wind about the most chop you will encounter in the Sounds will be wake from ferries (and the Lynx isn't in business any more so the risk of getting run down is only moderate).  If you've had a go on the ones down at Fergs you'll have an idea about how straight forward it is. 

•  26-03-2007, 3:25 PM 433 in reply to 427

On top of all that, sounds like we may have some experience coming along after all! So if you are keen for some paddling round the sounds in the holidays, drop me an email.
  •  29-03-2007, 11:22 AM 486 in reply to 433

hi,

we've ben to the marlborough sounds this weekend (great weather) and had a little kayaking trip trough one of the bays. I think its fine in the bays.

the ferry channel can be quite rough and windy though so maybe doubles are better as they're more stable. 

but I think i's definitely ok for beginners to intermediates. and very beautiful landsape. have seen no penguins and seals though :-( 

•  31-03-2007, 10:12 AM 530 in reply to 412

Kia ora Annabel

I think the kayaking trip sounds like a lot of fun! There are some beaut bays run by DoC to stay at. Otherwise camping on the beach. I have only kayaked once, and didn't tip out either. It can get quite some chop on Queen Charlette though, and is really weather dependent. Perhaps except an extra day either side to be safe.

•  02-04-2007, 7:32 PM 577 in reply to 530

Hola again!!

I'm hoping to get everything booked for the kayaking trip to the Marlborough Sounds these holidays in the next few days. Exact date and location is yet to be confirmed (waiting to hear from people who have signed up when is going to work for them) so this is just a last call for anyone who wanted to go but hasn't yet signed up to drop me an email (beattianna@student.vuw.ac.nz) and I'll hook you up!

Cheers

View as RSS news feed in XML